The Mill was founded on the passionate pursuit of excellence, fearlessly pioneering visual imagination for over 30 years. Here are some fun facts about The Mill projects.
1. In 1998 The Mill built all the models for Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (2001) and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002), including Hogwarts, and shot all motion control elements.
2. The animation and VFX wizards within The Mill/MPC harnessed the studio’s first-class proprietary software tool ‘Furtility’ to create Kenny’s beautifully soft fur for Cushelle’s Cuddly-Soft Koala.
3. For McDonald’s Sonic the Hedgehog 2 ad, the team worked closely with the film’s producer Toby Ascher to make sure the iconic characters of Sonic and Tails were represented correctly. They took references from the previous and current movies, and worked with their colleagues at MPC Film to achieve the best output possible.
4. After 12 months of R&D, modeling, texturing, grooming, lighting, animation, comping and tweaking The Mill were able to deliver the final photorealistic digital Einstein in all its glory for A Photoreal CG Einstein for Smart Energy.
5. 45 minutes of motion-captured musical mayhem featuring Riot Games’ seven strong virtual metal band, Pentakill, playing their new concept album in real-time, captured by 40+ virtual cameras and created by over 70 world-class digital artists and creative technologists.
Discover more from The Mill here.